Monday, November 19, 2007

weekly update 19 nov

Greetings All,

 

Things here have been very busy. It seems like there is something going on all the time that we are involved in. Girl's basketball started last week and it seems to be going well. We had our first game on Saturday against ASOY. They graduated most of their talent last year so it is certainly a rebuilding year over there. We were up 20-2 at the half and probably could have scored 50 if I hadn't made a rule that anybody who scored in the first half could not score in the 2nd half. We played good defense and the younger players got to play a lot. The boys soccer team also won 3-0 in the scorching soleil Afrique.

 

Friday night was the weightlifting competition followed by the 11th grade class (we aren't supposed to call it a fundraiser) community event known as the annual Ping-Pong tournament. I was asked to keep the scoreboard and get matches started on time. My assistant Athletic Director is the perennial powerhouse but this year the Korean Studies teacher and one of his friends turned the tide. Didier ended up in 3rd and one of the SIL pilots came out with 2nd. I lost to the eventual champ in the 3rd round. I had him at 5-4 and then he got serious and ran off 11 straight and beat me 15-5. He was a real nice guy and teaches Korean Studies for other Korean MKs somewhere in the city. We got 5 tables from the hostels and other parents and had around 30 men entered, 15 in the women's bracket and 7 or 8 kids in that division. The 3 winners each got homemade pies. The 11th grade class is unusually large for this school so when they sponsor events like this they usually have plenty of hands to help. They made some good money on food and refreshments plus 50 some entry fees.

 

Betsy has been feeling much better today now that she has successfully passed her sinus cold on to me. This morning I felt like somebody was hitting the inside of my eyeballs with a hammer. I made it to school in time to do a unit review in Geo 10 and start a unit of Self-defense in both PE classes. Good thing the first lesson is all on paper. Another teacher is assisting me so we can split up the boys from the girls so no boys get hurt. She is from LA and is teaching Spanish and ESL. She is really in to this stuff so I might just let her run the show from now on. I have no idea how to do this stuff but I seem to have a knack of faking it.

 

I think I will go home now that the staff meeting is off. I am beginning to doze off at the wheel. I found out that one of my students has season 3 of LOST. We borrowed the first 2 from the hostel over the last 2 months and now have bartered our way into the 3rd. I hope the stakes don't go up before delivery because it seems to be a pretty hot commodity.

 

That's it from here. Take care and God Bless.

 

Brian & Betsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home