Sunday, May 06, 2007

WU 05May

Greetings from sunny rainy sunny rainy Cameroon.

 

Things here are good. We are winding down to graduation day and there is plenty to do. Exams to prepare, projects to finalize, assessments to write and papers to grade. And that's just for Monday. I am working on putting together a simulation game for my World Geo class where the kids team up and race to colonize Africa. At least 6 different nations had colonies here in the early 1900's and beyond. I thought it would be fun to try a game where they have to raise money and start colonies abroad. I haven't worked out all the specifics yet but Betsy and another teacher are contributing nicely to uncomplicate my ideas. I already promised the class so now I have to come through.

I got an idea a few weeks ago (I was almost killed once when a train of thought ran through my mind) when my world maps in my classroom fell apart for the last time that I would make my own map that would never rip or break. I will send along some pictures that explain it further. I used my entire budget of $0 and enlisted free labor from my geography class and others. Emily, the Art teacher acted as technical advisor.

Betsy has been working hard with her Drama Evangelism team and from what I saw, it looks really good. I will have her explain more about it at the end.

I have been taking groups of students out to the Ekoko II handicapped children's center the past few Saturdays. We are working on screening all the windows in the dorms and making screen doors for both big rooms. We fixed up their playground equipment and repaired a bunch of furniture last week. There was a big volleyball tourney at school today so I could only muster 2 volunteers for today's adventure. They have been out there before with me and did a great job. We have 3 windows left and should start building the doors this week to hang on Saturday. I know a local guy who does masonry work and he is going to do a bid for pouring a few concrete walks where the mud seems to collect. He is up in his village this week so I hope he comes back soon or it will have to wait until August. The benefactor of these projects is a family who sends their child to RFIS and sends their monthly tithe to me for the purpose of giving it to the orphanages. There is an agency here called Hope Services that picks up the slack that the government drops in terms of taking care of basic needs of a half-dozen facilities all over the city. Unless a handshake photo is taken, the government drops a lot of slack. Sister Mary Joseph arranges special meals and health screenings for the kids and distributes donations. She is an incredible woman. Our SIL nurse, Ellen, volunteers with the Sister to give immunizations and such and I usually hand the cash over to her to pass on but I kept one installment and that is what paid for the lumber, screen, chain, fasteners and all that. I arranged with a couple coming over from the States last month to bring a bag of kid's chewable vitamins for Ekoko II. Most days all they get is some rice and cocoyams. Last week I brought out about 10 students from school who got to spend some quality time with the kids there. It was cool to see them open up and make new friends. These kids are outcasts and orphans and it is unlikely that anybody ever just asks them how they are. They are so friendly and helpful. I hope to make it out there at least 2 more times before school is out. There is a list of things to do out there that is practically endless.

Also this week I was asked to chaperone 6 teenagers on a camping trip up to Mt. Kobisan just west of the city. I didn't ask how many people had already turned them down but since we had Tuesday off school, I figured I could. We didn't get going until 5 because 4 of them had volleyball practice and I had a staff meeting so it was getting dark already when we started hiking. It is about an hour hike up and around a big ridge overlooking the city. The trail is well marked but we managed to lose it a few times. The kids brought enough food for a week and we got a little fire going. One boy, 2nd from the left in the photo, managed to slip and cut his hand pretty bad on the machete he was holding. Other than that, we were pretty much disaster free. The top of the hill is flat volcanic rock with a little cover but excellent view of the city lights. I was hesitant to go at first thinking that a bunch of high school kids were just going up here to get away from parents and party it up. 3 boys 3 girls and short notice? Red flags everywhere but I went anyway. It turned out to be a lot of fun. No questionable behavior. Just a group of friends laughing and telling stories all night. I am so glad I went. We were just getting things ready for cooking breakfast when a rain shower started lurking over us so we packed up and threw it all including ourselves into a 2 person tent we brought. 7 people crammed in waiting for the storm to pass. After 2 hours we gave up and headed back down. We were soaked and covered in mud and laughing all the way down. I would go again for sure.

 

That's about it for me. I'll let my beautiful bride finish in style.

 

Hey everyone, Brian is much better at this then I am so I usually just let him do it, but this time I have so really cool news to share so I thought I would try my skill at writing again (after college I have tried hard to avoid it as much as possible).  Right after Christmas a few teachers got together and started talking about starting a drama evangelism team at RFIS.  Well, we presented the idea to the students and about half the school wanted to join.  Unfortunately, the school schedule did not look like it was going to allow us the time we need to practice and present the dramas.  But, the students were really into this an kept asking us when we were going to show them the dramas so they could practices and get out into the community and share.  A few weeks ago we started practicing the dramas and we are almost ready to go out.  There are 3 group dramas we will do presenting and 3 individual dramas.  The group dramas are Redeemer, The Ragman and Turn Around.  All three dramas are done to music.  Redeemer is about the creation and fall of man.  Ragman and Turn Around are both about Jesus dying for our sins and how He is the only one who can save us from sin.  The three individual dramas are short mimed skits.  One about how Satan draws us into sin and then does not let go.  One about how people will break our hearts and Jesus is the only one to put them back together again.  The last one is about how if God's word is going to make a difference in our lives, we must read it.  So far we are scheduled to perform at the prison, a local university, the school and within several neighborhoods.  So, pray for the students involved in the drama evangelism.  We do not have much time left, as far as the school year goes, and life is very full.  We also fell some intense spiritual warfare over this.  You can also pray for the people we will be witnessing to.  Pray that God will prepare their hearts for His word.

 

Well, I am told I have to end now. Brian wants to make sure he gets this emailed before church starts.  God Bless and thank you for all your prayers and support!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home